Shvarts & Leiz LLP is a full-service patent law firm serving high-tech clients from offices in California, New Jersey, and New York. We are patent lawyers who understand technology and the needs of technology clients. All of our lawyers and technical advisors are talented engineers with prior experience at large international law firms.
Our clients range from large multinational corporations to startup companies. These clients choose to work with us because we provide top-tier legal advice at competitive rates. The core of this value proposition is the long-term perspective we take with our lawyers and clients. S&L hires talented lawyers and technical advisors for the long term, so they can become immersed in the client’s technology and business.
Our services include patent prosecution, counseling (e.g., rendering legal opinions and performing freedom to operate analyses), due diligence, litigation, and reexaminations. Although we are located in the primary technology and creative centers of Palo Alto and New York, we regularly work with clients throughout the country and internationally.
Our lawyers have worked on some of the largest and most complex prosecution, counseling, and litigation matters of the last decade. All of the lawyers at S&L have stellar credentials in both law and engineering. Similarly, our technical advisors have advanced degrees in engineering.
We take a long-term perspective both within our firm and with our clients. As a firm, this means that we are selective in hiring well-rounded candidates with the right legal skills and necessary technical background. As a client, this means you will have a stable, long-term team of dedicated lawyers who understand your business, technology, organization, and industry.
We understand that clients want value from their lawyers. We are focused on maintaining a culture and cost structure that allows clients to hire top lawyers at competitive rates.
- Patent Prosecution – We have extensive experience in patent prosecution, including reexaminations and oppositions. We understand the intricacies of practicing before the United States Patent Office and in foreign jurisdictions, and work closely with each client’s engineers and in-house counsel to understand their inventions and technology.
- Portfolio Management & Strategy – We work with clients to develop and execute a strategic worldwide patent prosecution plan taking into account client goals (e.g., licensing, company valuation, and enforcement), competitive landscape, and legal trends.
- Opinions and Counseling – We provide opinions on all issues of patent invalidity, non-infringement, and unenforceability. If our client is facing potential litigation, we leverage our technical and legal experience to identify the potential risks, rewards and possible ultimate outcomes.
- Product Development – We also assess competitive patent portfolios to assist companies with product development and launch. When clients are developing products in a challenging IP landscape, we work closely with our clients’ engineers during the design stage providing real-time analysis and guidance to ensure that the end products are free from other’s IP rights.
- Patent Litigation – We represent clients as both plaintiffs and defendants in patent litigation throughout the country.
- Due Diligence – Intellectual property is a critical aspect of many transactions in the high tech community. We help our clients assess the strength and value of patent portfolios.